Sunday, October 2, 2011

The vegan story

Hello, I'm sorry I did not blog yesterday ; I don't usually post on caturday ( Saturday ) because I spend it with my cats.  Anyway, on with the blog...this is the the story of how I became vegan.

Caution: This story is gross.  Once when I was really little, I was coming home with Mom from Whole Foods.  I had a chicken leg.  (And no, mom wasn't happy about that, and neither am I right now.)  However, this was before I was vegan, and I had cleverly talked mom into allowing me to have chicken instead of tofu off the hot bar.  According to mom, (I don't remember this part of the story very well;) mom said that the meat weighed a lot, so I found these little chicken legs. 

When mom still said no, I said, "It's not because of the weight; you're trying to impose your vegan choices on me." (I would be happy about those choices now.)  According to mom, she knew I was right, so she let me have it - WHA_BAM - She punched me in the face!  No, she didn't punch me in the face because that would be very rude.  She let me have the chicken leg, and she asked me not to get any on the car and to roll the window down to let out the horrible stench.


Meanwhile, in the car, I ate down to the bone; it made a crunching sound.  I thought of Miss Jenny's chickens, and I said, "Mom, I'm going to be vegan!"  

After a few minutes thought, I said maybe I'll be half vegan because I couldn't give up fish and shrimp.  After a while, I'm not sure how long - at least a few months -  I decided not to eat shrimp because they are so small and cute.  I was still eating fish, salmon mostly at other people's houses.  After quite a while, again I am not sure, possibly a few months, I thought, "I don't usually eat fish; I guess I'll become completely vegan."  

So, then I thought it through very carefully.  I went to mom and said, "Mom I'm going to be completely vegan, no fish - no nothin'."  And that's the story of how I became vegan.


vegan anarchist symbol





This story was pretty hard to write.  I was trying not to barf.  I wrote it because it was how I became vegan, and I wanted to share it.


Next time, I'm going to tell you the story of how I got mom to stop eating CHEEZZZE; this was before either of us were vegan!





















3 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful story--it shows how you really thought things through and made your own choices, based on your own convictions.

    My brother had a similar experience when he became vegetarian. He was about your age, and we were eating fish, and he made the connection that it was the same animal as the little gold fish we had as a pet. So suddenly he didn't want to eat fish any more. But he decided that it wasn't just fish he didn't want to eat, but any animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! How very almost disgustingly unreadable! Beware of pigs of some shapes and large sizes! They are better organized that you might think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love the story of how my sweet chickens helped you in your vegan journey. And I'm glad you're here visiting us today!

    ReplyDelete